I've been trying to make my snacks healthier lately and this was a total win!
I was nervous about burning the bottom of the pot or stinking up the apartment, but it turned out perfectly (and I am inhaling as I type now!).
Stove Top Popcorn!
1/3 cup corn kernels
3 T coconut oil (or one that can handle high temperatures)
- Heat the oil & salt in a 3-quart saucepan on medium high heat.
- Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan.
- When the kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer. Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds. This method first heats the oil to the right temperature, then waiting 30 seconds brings all of the other kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.
- Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once. Once the popping starts in earnest, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner. Try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper).
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
Makes 2 quarts and almost all the kernels popped.
Initial instructions are from here
I love knowing exactly what I am eating and it is super super cheap compared to microwave! :)