Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The One With Making Brown Rice Flour


For those of you who do not know me personally, there are quite a few foods that I cannot eat without there being adverse effects on my body. My two greatest allergies are those to wheat and dairy.

So, I have been experimenting with substituting rice flour into recipes lately. Which, honestly, has not been very successful. The rice flour always seems to make things come out heavier or gritty. And buying brown rice flour bread gets pretty pricey. On top of that, it comes in 24 oz bags, which I go through pretty quickly while trying to make bread or cookies.

So, I have begun experimenting with making the flour myself out of regular store bought brown rice. I used the tutorial found here and my coffee grinder with surprisingly good success. I am not a big coffee drinker and use my coffee grinder mainly to grind flax seed but am so excited that it works for this purpose too!

I just have this generic Mr Coffee grinder and it works like a charm! With different settings it usually grinds the rice more finely than the store bought flour!

I hope this is helpful for those of you who are or know anyone who is Celiac or who prefer to use rice as a healthier wheat alternative! I will be sure to keep you updated on my baking attempts!

No comments:

Post a Comment