Saturday, June 8, 2013

Re: I Married The Wrong Person


The wedding was beautiful, the plans were executed impeccably.
The bride was beautiful, the food was delicious, and before anyone knew it, they were off to the honeymoon!
Then what???

I have seen this blog post on numerous friend's Facebook walls, and keep coming back to the sad truth that not many people getting married are actually focused on the relationship that, after the wedding day, will be the sustaining factor of their marriage.

We don't consider that it is impossible for two broken people to maintain the perfect "happily ever after."  There needs to be more, which has become very clear to DJ and I in the past months as our schedules were turned upside down when he started taking classes full time while still working full time.

Neither of us are perfect people, but we know (and are continuing to grow in the knowledge) that the Lord is perfect and He has brought us together for His perfect plan.  He is the only One we can both fully rely on without being let down.

One of my favorite Bible verses is Ephesians 3:20
Which says:
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us

Yeah, some days are flat out hard.  Life is challenging, the world throws curve balls, but resting in the Lord's might and power brings us both peacefully back to each other at the end of the day, without expectations of perfection, because our hope and trust is in the Lord.

Ideally, that would always be the case, but its not.  We get tired and crabby and hungry and before we realize it we are expecting things of one another without even realizing it.  With expectations come disappointments and the vicious cycle begins.

I wish I could say we have figured this one out, that its taken us two years but we have this one down pat.  I'd like to think that I have learned more than DJ's favorite ice cream flavor in the past two years and I have. But I have also learned a lot about my own insufficiency and my inability to do it on my own.  Which is where the might of my God and the support of my husband come in.

We have grown so much and I love him so much more than I ever could have imagined.  We continue to grow in our confidence in the Lord and His sovereignty and this blog post served to be a perfect reminder of that to me today.

The Lord is capable of and finds joy in doing immeasurably more than we could ever hope for or even imagine.

Happy Weekend :)



No comments:

Post a Comment