Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan in the Crock Pot

Crock pot eggplant "parmesan" with Feta
{My response to "we should try using the crock pot more"}

With discipline and intentionality, I was able to kick the plague that overcame me and continue pushing through this difficult time they call May-mester {which we have renamed "cray-mester" and its just the first week!}.  It has been intense!  Leaving us with little going on in the kitchen.  My sweet husband made dinner every night this week because, I am sad to admit, I once again fell prey to the freak-out-because-I-will-never-get-through-this attitude.  You would think that third semester around I would get with the program.  Anyways, I have, and I will get through it, and I will do it all while we eat tasty healthy food too!

It is for this reason, you understand that DJ saying "we should try using the crock pot more" was not nagging or dissatisfaction.  It was a response to the idea of eating salads for dinner for the next 5 weeks.  So, here comes my attempt at slow cooking!

Our fridge is getting bare, I was sick for the first half of the week and now he is coming down with it, not conducive to grocery shopping. We don't have much, but we do have 3/4 of an eggplant, and so in response to "Crock pot eggplant" {real creative}, Google brought me to A Year of Slow Cooking.
Hallelujah!

Not vegan, but gluten free!

Crock pot Eggplant Parmesan with Feta

Ingredients:
-3/4 of a large eggplant
-3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs (gluten free is what I used)
-4 t Italian seasoning
-1 jar organic marinara
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-Block of Feta cheese
-salt & pepper

Directions:
  1. Wash the eggplant and slice it into 1/2 inch slices
  2. Cover the bottom of the crock pot with sauce
  3. Dip each slice of eggplant into the olive oil, coat with breadcrumbs, and layer into the crock pot.
  4. Once you have filled the crock pot with the eggplant, pour the remaining sauce in on top of the slices.
  5. Crumble feta on top, cover, and cook!
I cooked it on low for 4-6 hours.  The recipe also said you could cook on high for 3-4 hours. 

I served mine over rice and DJ's over spaghetti.  He's not a big fan of eggplant, I'm thinking maybe I'll try the same recipe with zucchini.  It was all super good and very easy to make though, and made our apartment smell amazing! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment