Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Coincidence? Probably Not.


The more life experience I gain the less I believe in coincidences.
The "probably not coincidence" I am experiencing right now is related to living with debt and sacrificing to get out of debt ASAP.

 Firstly: This past week a sweet teammate from college and her husband posted their "we"re debt free" scream video on facebook.


I have been dreaming of experiencing that moment ever since!

Secondly: My husband has been wanting to sit down and discuss our finances more and more often lately. He wants us to both be 100% on the same page and 100% in agreement about our goals.

Thirdly: I came across this blog post yesterday titled "Becoming Debt Free & 6 Odd Tips That Helped Us"

Fourthly: My PT program hosted a job fair Monday that made finances and getting into the work force seem so much closer and more real. (even though in reality my PT, DPT status is still (hopefully only) 15 months away)

I know, this very well could be coincidence, but I'd argue more so it is the Lord trying to prepare me for when the day does come when I am earning a paycheck.  He is trying to shape my heart and mind to be in line with my husband's. To quote the blog post mentioned above:  Paying off debt in agreement as a couple and taking longer is better than paying off debt by a bureaucratic tyrant and doing it quickly.

That really did challenge me because I am more of the free spirit in our relationship.  Always making the argument that we should live frugally within reason and that we should live joyfully, which sometimes requires a break from the daily grind or a date night to clear our head. Its in this region where we occasionally butt heads. And I am embarrassed to say, I paint my husband has the bureaucratic tyrant.

I know submitting to my husband to accomplish the goal of paying off student loan debt will be even more difficult for me when I am working and there is more room for "my" and "yours" to creep in.  Which is why focusing on respecting and submitting to my husband and his development & maintenance of our financial plan now is so important.  Luke 16:10 says "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much."

I want to be the couple whose marriage is strengthened when living with little to be strong enough to handle living with much.  I know that the condition of my heart will be one of the biggest obstacles we will have to overcome.  I want to be debt free, but my actions do not always support my words.  I hope and pray with everything in me that we will not let things and finances cause division in our marriage. Through prayer and constant petitioning of the Lord for humility, I am sure He will provide exactly what we need.





No comments:

Post a Comment