Saturday, May 8, 2010

The One About the Persecuted


The displacement of Christians in the Middle East is not a new idea. However, I so quickly forget how Christians are forced to live in other parts of the world. This is an excerpt from a prayer update e-mail subscription I received the other day:

Christians in Iraq have been warned by Muslim extremists to leave the country immediately or risk violent death, according to The Voice of the Martyrs contacts. An Iraqi bishop received a letter from the General Secretariat of the Islam Supporters warning Christians in Baghdad and other areas to “leave the country of Muslims (Iraq) for good and immediately in the form of mass transmigration.” ....Despite the threats, Christians in Iraq remain strong in their faith. “We thank God for his protection during this difficult time the country is passing through,” a VOM contact said. Pray that the Lord will protect our brothers and sisters in Iraq, and ask God to give them the grace to forgive their persecutors.

See full text story here

I often find that when I pray my prayers tend to be very me centered. By receiving Voice of the Martyr's magazine and prayer updates it keeps my eyes and heart open to the bigger picture of things going on in the world. They give a voice to those who are risking their lives and everything they have for their faith in the gospel.

As if that in itself is not inspiring enough, check out the Voice of the Martyrs website. They publish a free monthly magazine/newsletter that is filled with amazing heartbreaking yet awe inspiring stories.

I encourage you to visit their website and look around, I assure you it will light a fire in your heart and open your eyes to the real spiritual battle that is going on around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment